Tuesday 24 November 2009

North South, East West, First, Second and Third

I realised in my last post, when I was talking about the difference between a Peruvian and a European organisation that I used the term 'Northern' and 'Southern' and that these terms may perhaps be unfamiliar to some people reading this.

Most people would probably refer to a European Organisation and way of thinking as being 'Western' although they would then run into some trouble on defining a Peruvian organisation as Peru is of course further West than the UK.

They might instead refer to Peru as a 'third world country' although like me they might be unsure where the first and second world begin and end exactly.

No words are perfect to fit the situation of course, but North and South are generally a little more accurate and less linked to ideologies. It is likely that in a few years time it may seem patronising as these things move in cycles, but for now I prefer it to referring to Peru as a third world country.

No comments:

Post a Comment