Monday 1 February 2010

Vacaciones Utiles


The main reason Natalya and Liaia have come out now is because January and February are the school holidays and so allows volunteers more of a chance to get to know the kids and their parents. As I mentioned in a previous blog I had been thinking of giving the kids some English classes, perhaps on the weekend with the help of my friend at the English school. I was a little surprised then to turn up at the kitchen one day and find a full rota of English classes for the next week stuck on the outside of the building!

Not that I’m particularly averse to teaching English (although it wasn’t the reason I came here) it was a little surprising to see that I was supposedly teaching the next day and didn’t have anything prepared. I’ve never taught young kids before and hardly had any idea where to start. Fortunately I was able to call in a few favours.


When I started teaching at the school in the centre I thought that it might give me somewhere to get help and resources from if I ever was called in to teaching at La Mansion. My friend Samantha who had offered to help previously unfortunately was unable to help me teach classes in the week but had a few materials such as books and flash cards that I have been able to use.

Also, although I didn’t have any personal experience of teaching English to primary aged kids I had some friends who had. When I taught in Japan several of my friends taught kids of a similar age and so I sent out a facebook spam asking for ideas and several people wrote back sending links and ideas which I’ve somehow managed to fashion crudely into the semblance of a class.

The lessons have been going well. The kids love the games (or at least the sweets i had out if they win) and seem to be increasing their vocabulary. Some of the kids are really bright but unfortunately many (especially the boys) find it difficult to focus. Still, the games bring attention and enjoyment to the kids, something that sadly they often lack, and so I am glad that I can have some positive impact here. Even if I didn’t come here to teach...

No comments:

Post a Comment