Saturday 24 October 2009

123rd year Anniversary

I was glad to get back to the pueblo. I had enjoyed seeing the surrounding area but all I could really think about was how much I was looking forward to catching up on sleep. There was a fiesta in the evening but it wouldn't really get going for a few hours. A perfect opportunity for some sleep. Jose of course had different ideas...

Two stages had been set up at either end of the main street in front of the town hall and people were beginning to gather at about 6:30. One of the schools had a brass band there and started to play. Unfortunately they only seemed to know about four bars of the tune they were trying to play and repeated them with constant ineptitude.

The nights event were introduced by one of the media people who had come for the celebrations. Unfortunately the school band did not seem inclined to finish their set (or else wasn't quite sure how the piece was meant to end) and so played over him all but drowning him out.

After about 15 minutes however the band finally got bored and with a triumphant cacophony decapitated the music. A few acts seemingly of national recognition had been drafted in for the celebration and so took over the stage. However much of them sounded pretty similar and monotonous to me to the extent that I was almost wishing for the return of the high school musical.

The minutes dragged by, not helped by the fact that I was utterly shattered. Jose and Davis were completely unsympathetic and at 9:30 I'd had enough and declared that I was off to find the key to the room. This was no easy task as everyone was busy with the festival and only one person from the hostel had the key but I managed to track him down and finally crawl into bed.

Unfortunately the hostel was right next to one of the stages...the music stopped at about 5am...

No comments:

Post a Comment